In our baskets this week...
Sweet Onions* | Intervale Community Farm | Burlington, VT
Fresh Garlic* | Burnt Rock Farm and Bella Farm | Huntington, VT and Monkton, VT
Cucumber* | Wood's Market Garden | Brandon, VT
Dill* | Digger's Mirth Collective Farm | Burlington, VT
Carrots* | Digger's Mirth Collective Farm | Burlington, VT
Romaine Lettuce* | River Berry Farm | Fairfax, VT
Includes Vermont Vegetables listed above, and...
Pasture Raised Chicken Wings | Maple Wind Farm | Huntington, VT
Plain Yogurt* | Butterworks Farm | Westfield, VT
Honey | BTV Honey | Burlington, VT
Bread: Baguette* | Red Hen Baking Co. | Middlesex, VT
Cheddar Cheese | Shelburne Farms | Shelburne, VT
Pasture Raised Eggs | Betseyfield Farm | Burlington, VT
Recipes and Cooking Tips
- Eat this first: Lettuce, Cucumber, and Dill
- Use romaine lettuce in salads and sandwiches, and add it as a topping for tacos! We've even seen some recipes for grilled romaine - see the recipe below to try it out!
- Sweet onions can be used in a variety of sautéed dishes, but grilling them really brings out their amazing caramelized flavor.
- Use up those cucumbers by eating them raw, pickling them, or using them in soups and sauces! Also try infusing them in water for a cooling drink.
- Dill works well when paired with fish, soups, roasted veggies, and anything pickled! Check out this website for tips on storing and freezing fresh dill.
- Fresh garlic has a slightly milder taste and can be used anywhere you would use dried garlic, but there's a lot more you can do with it from the stalks to the cloves. Look at this post for ideas on how to make the most of fresh garlic.