Get to know some of our farmers and food makers! Vermont Open Farm Week happens once a year, when farms all over Vermont invite the public to visit for special tours and activities. This year, a number of the farmers who we work with will be hosting events. There's even an event here at the Intervale Center! Vermont Open Farm Week 2016 starts Monday August 15th and runs through Sunday August 21st.
Take a look at the events that feature Intervale Food Hub's partner farmers and food makers. We hope to see you at some of these events!
Monday August 15th
Yoga at the Farm
Intervale Center and Half Pint Farm, Burlington, VT
Monday, 4:00-6:30 PM
- Yoga: Gather together for a 1 hour yoga practice, led by certified instructors Krissy Ruddy and Sarah Diedrick at the Intervale Center Community Barn. As we meditate on sense of place, they will inspire you to feel connect to your food—and the land and people from which it comes.
- Tour: After the practice, the Intervale Center's Chelsea Frisbee will lead us on a short tour to Half Pint Farm, in Burlington's Intervale, where we will meet the farmers and enjoy some delicious local food!
- This event is open to all levels of yoga experience.
- Tickets are $15 for City Market Members, $20 for non-members. Click here for details and to sign up for Yoga at the Farm!
Tuesday August 16th
On-Farm Dinner at Valley Dream Farm
Valley Dream Farm, Cambridge, VT
Tuesday, 5:00-8:00 PM
Note: Valley Dream Farm hosts weekly on-farm dinners in July and August! See more dates at the website below.
Valley Dream Farm, run by Anne, Joe, and the Tisbert Family, grows certified organic vegetables for the Intervale Food Hub.
- Tour: Your evening begins with an educational one-hour tour of this beautiful certified organic farm, nestled into the picturesque Pleasant Valley outlined by gently rolling organic fields and breathtaking backdrop views of majestic Mt. Mansfield.
- Dinner: The Valley Dream Farm dinning experience is prepared by a local guest chef of the week from one of the area’s great restaurants. After the tour, mingle with the farmers while enjoying appetizers. Family style dinners begin with an abundant salad and fresh bread with organic Vermont butter. The meal continues with several delicious entrees and an array of certified organic vegetables and herbs picked that day. Dinner concludes with dessert and Farmer Joe’s ice cream made fresh that day, and local fresh ground coffee. Fresh organic lemonade, coffee, and ice water are included in your meal. Boyden Valley Winery will offer wine tastings and pairings, and wine for sale by the glass or bottle. Anything additional that you desire, you may bring; we provide glasses, openers, and coolers for anything guests bring.
- Tickets are $65 for adults, or $39 children under 10 (plus gratuity). Click here for details and to purchase tickets for dinner & a tour at Valley Dream Farm - or for a different date that works for you!
Tasty Tuesday Cooking Class
Health Hero Island Farm, South Hero, VT
Tuesday, 5:00-7:00 PM
Health Hero, run by Eric and Hannah Noel, is one of the farms that provides grass fed beef to the Intervale Food Hub.
Wednesday August 17th
Sun to Cheese Tour
Shelburne Farms, Shelburne, VT
Shelburne Farms provides farmhouse cheddar cheese to the Intervale Food Hub. If you haven't been to Shelburne Farms before, it is a must-see in the Burlington area!
- Take a behind-the-scenes tour to discover the magic of cheesemaking and how its delicious taste starts way before the milk hits the cheesemaking vat. Hear farmers and cheesemakers explain the process of turning fresh milk into farmhouse cheddar. Visit the dairy, meet the cows that make the milk, and sample Shelburne Farms cheeses.
- Tickets are $18 per person, and include a block of cheese. Click here to purchase tickets for the Shelburne Farms Sun to Cheese Tour.
Thursday August 18th
Maple Wind Farm Crop Mob
Maple Wind Farm, Huntington, VT
Thursday, 9:00 AM - Noon
Maple Wind Farm, owned by Beth Whiting and Bruce Hennessy, provides pasture raised chicken, grass fed beef, pasture raised pork, and certified organic vegetables to the Intervale Food Hub.
Help Beth and her crew with some fun in the dirt! Summer field tasks could include harvesting or weeding. Please come prepared for the weather with appropriate layers, sturdy shoes, work gloves, and water. Light snacks will be provided.
City Market Member Workers can earn hours for their time.
- Click here for details and to sign up for the Maple Wind Farm Crop Mob
Friday August 19th
Maple Wind Farm Pop Up Market & Farm Dinner with Live Music
Maple Wind Farm, Richmond, VT
Friday, 4:00-8:00 PM
Market: Market will be open from 4-7pm.They will be open for sales at the red barn - you can stock up on special deals on beef, pork, chicken, and eggs and organic vegetables! While you are there, explore the Maple Wind Farm chick brooder and poultry facility, and see what Vermont Edible Landscapes has for sale in her greenhouse next door.
Dinner: Farm raised dinner will be 6-8 pm. Bring a chair and listen to some music! Reservations appreciated, but not required.
Call Maple Wind Farm at 802-434-7257 with questions or click here for information.
Burger Night with Live Music
Health Hero Farm, South Hero, Vermont
Friday, 5:00-7:00 PM
- See happy cattle grazing on beautiful pastures along Lake Champlain. Relax on Lake Champlain Islands with live music and delicious grass-fed beef burger.
- Click here for more information!