Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Leisurely | Season: All | Type: Dessert | Diet: Vegetarian/GF
5 apples, cored
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon teaspoon cinnamon
Salt to taste
Caramel (preferably goats milk caramel from Fat Toad Farm!)
1. Preheat oven to 325-degrees.
2. Using a paring knife or a butter knife, remove the core of the apples, leaving ½-inch at the bottom (you’ll be filling the hollows with custard). Stand the apples in a small baking dish.
3. Blend milk and sugar in a small saucepan, and heat until just below simmering.
4. While milk is heating, thoroughly whisk the egg.
5. When the milk is warm, slowly pour it into the beaten egg, continuing to whisk throughout (this is called tempering). Make sure to do this slowly so as not to scramble the egg.
6.Add cinnamon and salt.
7. Pour custard mixture into the hole in each apple. The custard will expand a little in the oven, so do not fill all the way to the top.
8. Bake for 50 minutes. Custard should appear set when you jiggle the pan. If it still looks undercooked, return to the oven.
9. Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with a bit more cinnamon.