Baked Polenta with Asparagus & Mushrooms
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: All | Type: Main Dish, or Starchy Side | Diet: Vegan/GF
You can make baked polenta with any toppings you'd like. Tomato sauce and cheese would be great. So would a smear of pesto. Make a batch, and experiment!
- 1 recipe cooked polenta, spread on a greased cookie sheet to cool, or 1 tube shelf-stable, cooked polenta
- 1/2 pint shiitake mushrooms
- 6 spears asparagus
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- An acidic ingredient, such as vinegar or lemon juice
- When cool, cut the polenta into squares or triangles with a butter knife, or use a cookie cutter to cut them into another shape you like. Place the polenta pieces on a greased cookie sheet, or one that's covered with a sheet of parchment.
- Rinse the mushrooms, pull out the stems and set aside for making stock, and make thin slices from the caps.
- Rinse the asparagus, cut off the bottom half-inch, cut the lengths into inch-long pieces, and cut those pieces into slices.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the mushrooms and asparagus, and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler.
- While the mushrooms and asparagus cook, mince a clove of garlic. When the spears are bright green and the mushrooms are tender, add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for one more minute.
- Remove the veggies from the heat, and pop the polenta in the oven. While the polenta is cooking, taste the veggies for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed, and drizzle in some lemon juice or vinegar, for brightness.
- When the first side of the polenta has developed golden spots in the heat, remove it from the oven. Flip the polenta pieces, and top with the mushroom asparagus mixture. return to oven to heat through.
- P.S. If you're not vegan, this would be excellent with cheese.