Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Leisurely | Season: Fall/Winter | Type: Main Dish | Diet: Vegetarian - Omnivore
From your basket
- 3 beets, peeled and sliced
- 3 red potatoes, sliced (peeled too if you prefer)
- Shelburne farms cheddar (if you have any left over from last week’s basket)
From the pantry:
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 8 oz milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
For cheese sauce:
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
2. Add flour and whisk until fully combined, let cook 2-3 minutes.
3. Add heavy cream and milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add shredded cheddar and stir until melted and combined. Your sauce should be thicker than milk, but not so thick it does not easily drip from a spoon.
To complete dish:
5. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
6. Slice beets and potatoes and layer “standing” in a glass dish.
7. Pour cheese sauce over vegetables.
8. Bake dish in the oven, loosely covered with tinfoil, for 45 minutes. Remove tinfoil and continue cooking another 10-15 minutes.
9. Your dish is done when vegetables are soft to touch with a fork. Enjoy!