Beets are the secret ingredient to these gooey, extra chocolatey brownies! The swirls of caramel don't hurt either!
From your basket:
- 1 1/2 cup pureed beets (Boil a little more than needed, then blend with a tablespoon of water until smooth)
Consider using the Ploughgate Creamery Butter from last week’s basket and the eggs from your share if you receive them!
From the pantry:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups pure cane sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease or line a 8x8x2 metal pan with parchment foil paper.
2. Using a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir frequently as it continues to bubble. When there are small brown specs, and it smells like nutty caramel, remove pan from heat.
3. Add sugar, cocoa powder and salt to combine.
4. In separate bowl, beat eggs. After butter mixture has cooled in pot 4-5 minutes, slowly pour in eggs, stirring constantly until well combined.
5. Add vanilla and beet puree, stir to combine.
6. Add flour and baking powder, stir to combine.
7. Add chocolate chunks, stir to combine.
8. Drizzle caramel sauce over brownies and swirl around with a toothpick.
9. Bake 25-35 minutes in preheated oven or until top no longer looks wet. Enjoy!
Adapted from: https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/beet-brownies/
Not much of a "from scratch baker"? You can also mix the beet puree in with your favorite kind of boxed brownie mix. Follow the regular instructions, but be sure to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour to bulk up the mix for the beets!