Bread Salad (Panzanella) with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes & Shiitake Mushroom Confit
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Leisurely | Season: Summer | Type: Starchy Side Dish | Diet: V
This amazing, simple dish is packed with incredible flavor. Once you have the basic concept, you can make panzanella with a wide variety of ingredients: you just need cubed bread, olive oil, and some kind of acidic liquid to add flavor.
- 1/2 loaf bread, such as ciabatta. It's ok if it's slightly stale
- olive oil
- 1 recipe roasted cherry tomatoes
- 1 recipe shiitake mushroom and garlic confit
- cider, white wine, or sherry vinegar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375-degrees.
- Cut the bread into half-inch cubes, and place them on a baking sheet.
- Toss the bread cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toast the bread, stirring every few minutes, until it is crisp, and golden brown.
- In a large bowl, toss the warm bread cubes, the roasted cherry tomatoes and their juices, and the shiitake confit and some of the resulting oil.
- Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper, if desired.
- If the tomato juices didn't make the dish acidic enough, splash in a little bit of vinegar.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes so the flavors can meld.
- Serve at room temperature.