Sofrito is a sauce used as a base in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Latin American cooking. This fragrant, flavorful sauce is the perfect compliment to the pasture-raised chicken thighs in this week's Omnivore and Localvore Packages!
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (defrosted and patted dry)
- optional: your favorite spice rub for chicken, or, simple salt and pepper
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into thin ribs
- 1 container sofrito sauce from Joe's Kitchen
- 1/2 of an onion, sliced into ribs
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Serve with cooked rice
In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, heat oil until shimmering
Season chicken with salt, pepper, and optionally, your favorite spice rub. Cook chicken thighs over medium heat until brown and crispy on both sides, and set them aside to rest.
In the same pan, add sliced onion, and saute for about 2 minutes to soften. Add peppers, and saute until peppers begin to soften.
Next, add the sofrito sauce, stir, and continue to cook until the peppers are nearly completely softened.
Place chicken back into sauce, and broil for ~5 min until chicken skin is extra crisp
Serve over rice, or on its own!