Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: Spring | Type: Side - Veggie | Diet: Vegetarian
Colcannon is an Irish dish that pairs potatoes, cabbage, and onions together for a hearty side dish. It came to mind with St. Patrick's day just around the corner! It's also a very appropriate dish for March's seasonal vegetables. Enjoy!
- 5 small potatoes potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 one green cabbage, sliced very thinly or shredded
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for cooking
- 6+ tbsp butter (if you ask us, the more the better for a dish like this!)
· Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender
· Meanwhile, in a large pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add onion, and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add cabbage. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions have caramelized and the cabbage is almost translucent.
· When the potatoes are tender, drain them, then add 2+ tablespoons of butter, and mash the boiled potatoes. Add salt and pepper, and any other secret ingredients you might like in your favorite mashed potato recipe!
· When the cabbage and onions are cooked, stir them into the mashed potatoes.
This is a great side dish for a snowy night!