Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: All | Type: Salad | Diet: Vegan/Vegetarian/GF/DF
If there's one cucumber dish that's quicker to make than quick pickles, it's cucumber salad! This variation includes dill, shallot, and some lemon zest, which gives the salad a refreshing flavor that's perfect for spring.
- 1 European cucumber
- a couple sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 shallot
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (white wine or champagne vinegar would great, as would cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon oil (we used walnut oil left over from our strained yogurt recipe, but you could also use olive oil, sunflower oil, or sesame oil)
- a few grinds of pepper
- Wash the cucumber, and slice thin with a knife or on a mandolin. Put the cucumber slices in a salad bowl.
- Mince the dill, and the shallot, and add them to the cucumber.
- With the small side of a box grater, or with a Microplane grater, zest the lemon, working gently enough to remove the yellow skin, but leave the white pith behind.
- Add the lemon zest to the salad. Reserve the rest of the lemon to use in another recipe (such as Sausage, Bean & Chard soup).
- Pour on the vinegar and oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let sit for 15 minutes, up to one day, before serving.