In Our Baskets This Week...
Remember - We will be delivering on Monday & Tuesday instead of Wednesday & Thursday this week!
*Certified Organic | **EcoApple Certified | Meet Our Producers
- Brussels Sprouts* | Maple Wind Farm | Huntington, VT
- Sweet Potatoes* | Burnt Rock Farm | Huntington, VT
- Carrots* | Intervale Community Farm | Burlington, VT
- Fresh Cranberries | VT Cranberry Company | East Fairfield, VT
- Asian Pears** | Champlain Orchards | Shoreham, VT
- Mesclun* | Red Wagon Plants | Hinesburg, VT
- Bouquet Garni - Rosemary, Sage, Savory & Thyme* | Red Wagon Plants | Hinesburg, VT
Includes Vermont Vegetables listed above, plus...
- Wild Alaskan Salmon | Starbird Fish | Starksboro, VT
- Cultured Butter | Ploughgate Creamery | Fayston, VT
- Basil Pesto | Joe's Kitchen at Screamin' Ridge Farm | Montpelier, VT
BREAD, CHEESE, & EGGS
- Bread: Mad River Grain* | Red Hen Baking Co. | Middlesex, VT
- Cheddar Cheese | Shelburne Farms | Shelburne, VT
- Pasture Raised Eggs | Betseyfield Farm | Burlington, VT
Recipes and Cooking Tips
- Eat this first: Mesclun, Cranberries, and Fresh Herbs
Our bouquet garni from Red Wagon Plants includes rosemary, sage, and thyme. Bouquet Garni is traditionally used to infuse flavor into dishes that simmer and cook slowly - like chicken or pork roasts, stock, soup, and sauces. You can use them together or separately for different recipes. Add a bundle to your dish while it cooks and then easily remove it before serving. Or, chop your fresh herbs finely to incorporate into a dish.
To preserve fresh herbs: freeze in oil or make compound butter! Freeze: Chop them and freeze them in broth or olive oil in ice cube trays. Drop a cube into just about and sauce, saute, or soup for flavor. Butter: Mix chopped herbs, and some garlic if you'd like, into your Ploughgate Creamery butter to make a compound herb butter. Store in the fridge or freezer and add to vegetables, meat, fish, pasta, and sautes.
Fresh Cranberries: Don't be intimidated! Cooking or baking with fresh cranberries is easy - and their bright, refreshing flavor is a highlight of our season. There are a few recipe round-ups, like Delish's slideshow of 18 Savory and Sweet Recipes for Fresh Cranberries - to help you think outside the typical cranberry sauce box. Use them in anything from cocktails to sandwiches! One of our favorites is Fresh Cranberry Muffins.
- Asian pears are crisp and juicy, great for snacking, fresh salads (think pear slices, mesclun, and goat cheese), or baked in a crisp or a simple tart. If you had a Summer subscription, you already know that this has been an outstanding year for pears at Champlain Orchards! In comparison to the European variety - these have more crunch and grit. They will keep well in your refrigerator, but we suggest eating or cooking them soon to get the best flavor. To preserve them: try making a jam, a pear applesauce, or baking them into a cake or bread and freezing.
Find more inspiration on our Recipes page!