Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: All | Type: Meal | Diet: Vegetarian/GF
French Toast is called "pain perdu" in French, which loosely means "lost" bread. This recipe is perfect to make with bread after several days when it starts to harden. Soaking it in the custard-like egg and yogurt mix will allow the bread to soak up the flavor, and will make for a delicious cakey texture.
From your basket:
- Plum/Raspberry Jelly
- Mad River Grain bread
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup yogurt
From the pantry:
1. Cut bread into thick slices. Twice the thickness of a standard slice.
2. Cut “pockets" into each slice. Gently slice through from the bottom, from an inch inside one edge to the other, being carefully not to cut through to the top. See photo.
3. Using a butter knife, spread jam into the pocket of your bread. The amount of jam is up to you – we like a lot! You may also consider putting fresh berries in as well.
4. Whisk eggs, yogurt, and 1 tsp cinnamon in a large bowl.
5. Heat a sauce pan on medium heat. Grease pan – we used butter.
6. Dip your stuffed bread slice into the mixture, coating both sides. Let the bread soak for a few minutes on each side. Place into your hot pan.
7. Cook on each side for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Serve with maple syrup, a mixture of yogurt and cinnamon, or whipped cream!