Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: All | Type: Garnish | Diet: V
If you have stale bread, this is a perfect way to use it up. If you don't have garlic, you can simply make plain croutons. Or, you can play with other flavors. Herbs and spices would be perfect additions to this recipe.
- Fresh or slightly stale bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, grated on the smallest side of a box grater
- 3 tablespoons cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the grated garlic and the olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle the garlic oil over the croutons, and toss them to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 7 minutes, stir the croutons, and continue to bake until they're golden brown and crispy on the outside. The amount of time will depend on whether or not the bread was fresh or stale to start with, and on the moisture content of your chosen bread, generally.