Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: All | Type: Condiment - Flexible | Diet: Omnivore/GF/DF
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sunflower oil, a mix of 2/3 cup sunflower oil and 1/3 cup olive oil, or another neutral oil you prefer
- Separate the eggs, and reserve the whites for another use. I like to do this by cracking the egg, pouring it into my hand, and letting the whites slip through my fingers into a bowl, while the yolk stays in my palm.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the yolks, vinegar, mustard, and salt until the mixture has lightened in color and increased in volume -- around 2-3 minutes.
- If you have a friend to help, have them drizzle in the oil very slowly as you whisk it into the yolks. If not, take a kitchen towel and roll it up lengthwise. Form the towel into a doughnut shape, and place your mixing bowl in the center. That should help hold the bowl steady as you pour with one hand, and whisk with the other.
- As you pour and whisk, the mayonnaise should thicken until it looks like the store-bought stuff.
If you would prefer to make mayonnaise with a hand blender, check out this guide from Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html