Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: All | Type: Salad or Side | Diet: Vegan/GF/DF
When you want a change from steamed kale, a kneaded kale salad is a great alternative. This variation can be tossed with any vinaigrette of your choice, and garnished with chopped apricots and toasted sunflower seeds, but you could use any toppings that please you.
- 1 bunch kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- your favorite vinaigrette
- unsulfured apricots (usually, these can be found in the bulk section of your favorite co-op. They are much more delicious than sulfured apricots)
- toasted, salted sunflower seeds
- Strip the kale from its stems, rinse, and spin dry (if you don't have a salad spinner, shake the water out of the kale as well as you can).
- Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces, and place them in a large salad bowl. Add a teaspoon of salt, and knead the kale with your hands to tenderize it slightly, and break down some of the cell walls.
- Chop the apricots, and mix with the kale.
- Dress the kale and apricots with vinaigrette, season to taste, and top with toasted sunflower seeds.