Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: Summer/Fall | Type: Condiment | Diet: V/GF
This pesto can be made of a mix of herbs, or of herbs and greens (such as arugula, or spinach). You can make it without any nuts or other thickeners, which will mean that the herb flavors will really pop. Or you can add walnuts, almonds, or pine nuts, or throw in a little bit of bread, to give it a thicker texture.
- 1/2 bunch parsley leaves, picked off the stems and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves, picked off the stems and rinsed
- the zest of 1 lemon
- the juice of 1 lemon
- a few tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- nuts, if desired. Walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, and cashews all go nicely in pesto.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients. Purée until the mixture is a smooth paste. If needed, you can add a little bit of water, or more oil, to thin out the pesto.