Napa Cabbage Slaw
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: All | Type: Veggie Side | Diet: V, GF
This simple slaw can be used as a crunchy topping on sandwiches, or as a side dish in its own right. You can use any acidic ingredients you like to brighten it up, from lemon juice to lime juice to white wine vinegar. And, you can also mix in mayo or sour cream for a creamy variation.
- 1/4 Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated (you can use the largest holes on a box grater)
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, grated (as with the carrots, you can use the largest holes on a box grater)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice, or vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- a few grinds of pepper
- chopped cilantro or parsley, if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix (I like to use a pair of clean hands).
- Taste for seasoning. Does the salad need more acidity? Then add more lime juice, or vinegar. Does it need more salt? Depending on whether you're eating it as a salad on its own, or using it as a garnish, you may want to season a bit differently.