Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: All | Type: Main Dish | Diet: Omnivore
A basic recipe for a slab of meat!
- a steak, pork chop, chicken leg, or what have you
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the meat from its package, and using paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, pat it dry.
- Liberally season both sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. If you have a kitchen fan, turn it on.
- When the pan is hot, add the oil. When the oil shimmers, gently place the meat in the pan. If you have more than one piece, arrange them so they're not touching. Try not to move the meat around once you've put it down.
- Cook until the meat is seared on the first side. When it is, you will find that it will easily release itself from the pan.
- Flip the meat, turn off the burner, and place the pan in the oven.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of the steak/chop/leg, and how well done you wish it to be. You can use a thermometer to "temp" the meat, if you'd like.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the pan, and let it rest. You can now deglaze the pan and make a sauce, if you wish.