Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: Summer | Type: Veggie Side | Diet: V/GF
Another basic recipe that you'll use all summer long. Because zucchini is mild tasting, cooking it in a way that develops some browning is a great flavor-building strategy.
- Olive oil, or another cooking oil of your choice
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, sliced into rounds, or on a slant
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan (cast iron is great).
- When it's hot, add enough oil to liberally coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil shimmers, add one layer of zucchini. It's best to keep the pieces from touching.
- Sprinkle the first side with salt and pepper.
- When the first side is brown, use tongs or a pair of forks to flip each piece.
- Sprinkle the second side with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the second side is brown.
- Remove from pan.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini slices.