Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: Fall/Winter | Type: Soup | Diet: Vegan - Vegetarian - Omnivore - GF - DF
From your basket:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Optional: 1 lb ground beef
- Optional: Serve with Red Hen Baking Co. Bread and Shelburne Farms Cheddar cheese grated on top
From the pantry:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 chili seasoning packet (We used Vegetarian Chili mix by Simply Organic)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
1. In large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, parsnips, and chopped onion; cook 6 to 8 minutes, until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.
Optional: if you're planning to add ground beef, you can cook this while your vegetables cook. In a separate pan, cook over medium heat until browned with salt and pepper.
2. Add chili seasoning to vegetables in pot; cook 1 minute, stirring.
3. Add tomatoes with juice, whole and mashed beans, and 2 cups water; heat to boiling on high, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon.
If you're adding in ground beef, you can do that here. Drain some of the grease from your pan and add the beef to your pot of chili.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve over mashed potatoes, quinoa, or couscous. Adding Shelburne Farm Cheddar and serve with a thick slice of bread!