Crustless Quiche with Garlic Scapes & Havarti
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: Late Spring/Early Summer | Type: Main Course | Diet: Veg/GF (can be made DF, with alterations)
Is it an extra-thick frittata, or a crustless quiche? Either/or! We used garlic scapes and grated havarti cheese in this recipe, but you can add any ingredients your heart desires.
- garlic scapes
- olive oil, or another cooking oil you prefer
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup half-and-half -- OR -- non-dairy half-and-half, such as Ripple
- 4 ounces Havarti cheese, grated - OR - 2 tablespoons white miso dissolved in warm water
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Rinse the scapes, cut off the flower buds (you can save them for stock), and cut the stems into workable lengths (3-inches or so). Bundle pieces of stem together and cut them into small rounds.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, and when it's hot, add the scapes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the scapes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and the half-and-half of your choice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup grated cheese or the miso, depending on whether you want the dish to be dairy-free, or not.
- When the scapes have cooled slightly, add them to the egg mixture.
- Pour into an oiled baking dish and cook until the custard is set.
- If you're using cheese, sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Let cool slightly, and serve.