This is a quick and easy way to prepare cabbage, with minimal work.
- ½ green cabbage
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Examine your cabbage. Does it need any trimming? Usually you’ll want to cut a little bit off of the stem end to remove any browning. Does the outer leaf look good? If not, compost it!
- With the cabbage standing on its stem end, cut off two of its “cheeks,” leaving the center intact. You can save the cheeks for slaw. Then, slice the remaining cabbage into four slices, through the center.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle liberally with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, checking every 15 minutes, until the stem is tender. You can figure this out by poking it with the tines of a fork. If they easily go through, the cabbage is done. Depending on your oven, and the thickness of the cabbage slices, this may take between 30 and 45 minutes.
- Serve with some of your homemade mayo, soy sauce, or hot sauce.