Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: All | Type: Soup | Diet: Omnivore/GF/DF
The roasted vegetable stock you received in your share makes this recipe a snap. Are you a vegetarian? This soup is excellent without the sausage, too.
- 1 container vegetable stock (you can always substitute your own stock, veggie, chicken, or any other kind!)
- 1 package hot Italian sausage
- 1 container white beans (if you don't have beans from your share, you can substitute any other cooked beans, of any color or type).
- 1 bunch chard (you could also use kale, escarole, or nearly any other kind of braising green)
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, bring stock to a simmer.
- While the stock is heating, cut the casings from the sausages, and crumble the meat into the pot.
- Add the white beans to the pot.
- Strip the chard from its stems, rinse, and pull or cut into bite-sized pieces. When the stock has come to a a simmer, and the meat is cooked through, add the chard to the pot.
- Simmer until the chard is bright green and tender. When it's done, turn off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice, taste the broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste. If the soup isn't tangy enough you could add more lemon juice if you have it, or use a splash of vinegar.