Sausage Sandwiches with Wilted Greens
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: All | Type: Sandwich | Diet: O, DF
This is a great way to use up the sausages from the Omnivore package, the bread from the Localvore package, and the greens from the veggie basket! You can get all kinds of creative with this sandwich, using any condiments or spreads you desire, and adding any veggies you'd like. Tomatoes would be particularly good add on.
- 4 sausages, cooked in a 400-degree oven, or under the broiler. Leave the oven on so you can toast the bread
- 1 baguette, cut into six pieces
- 1 recipe Wilted Spinach & Turnip Greens
- Dijon mustard
- When the sausages cool, cut them in half lengthwise.
- Stand up one of the baguette pieces, and cut it through the center so that one side of the crust stays intact, creating a hinge (see the picture above)
- Pour the sausage drippings over the interior of the bread pieces, or drizzle them with olive oil.
- Put the pieces of bread on a sheet pan, with the crust up, and the inside down. They won't lie flat. That's ok!
- Toast the bread until it's crisp on the outside, but still tender in the middle.
- Spread mustard and mayo, or any other condiments you'd like, on the pieces of bread. Top them with wilted greens, sausage pieces, and tomato, if you've got it.