Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: Spring | Type: Side - Veggie | Diet: Vegan/GF/DF
- 3-4 stems asparagus
- 1 -2 heads of bok choi
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil (I use this to add flavor, but you can use your cooking oil of choice)
- salt and pepper
- optional tamari sauce
- Rinse the asparagus and cut off any woody bits at the bottom. Slice them in half the long way, then cut into approximately 2 inch lengths
- Cut the base off of the bok choi. Rise the leaves. Slice each leaf in half so that you separate the green top from the white bottom part of the leaf. Slice the white pieces into thin strips and set aside. Then, chop the green leafy tops, and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan for a couple of minutes. Add the asparagus pieces and the white bottom pieces of the bok choi with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cook until they are just becoming tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 - 7 minutes. These pieces need more cooking time than the leafy greens, which you'll add next.
- Test a piece - when the bok choi and asparagus are just a little bit less tender than you like them, add the leafy green tops in to the pan. Stir well, and cover for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve - season to taste with salt and pepper and tamari.
Recipe & Photo by Kendall Frost