Shaving asparagus makes it even quicker to cook. This makes a lovely side dish, and can be used as a garnish for pasta, rice, couscous, on top of soup, or anywhere else you would use asparagus. And, because of the shape, it also makes a great sandwich topping.
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- Butter or olive oil, or another oil you prefer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the asparagus spears. Cut off the tips, and reserve for another use. Sometimes the thick end of the stalk is woody. If this is the case, trim that section off, leaving the tender part of the spear.
- Follow these directions for shaving asparagus.
- Heat the butter or oil in a pan, until the butter sizzles, or the oil shimmers.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Add asparagus ribbons and cook, stirring, until bright green and tender.
- Use in any way you desire.