Savory French Toast with Cheese & Tomatoes
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: Summer/Fall | Type: Veggie Side | Diet: Veg
Have you ever had savory French toast before? Neither had we, but we realized that it would be an amazing way to use up bread and eggs. Try adding herbs to the egg batter!
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- a couple ounces of cheese, grated
- 4 slices tomato
- Preheat the broiler in your oven.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and chipotle powder.
- Dip the bread in the egg batter, and let it soak for a couple minutes. Then turn the bread, and soak the other side.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter or oil in a frying pan that's big enough to hold all four pieces of bread.
- Cook the bread on one side, until lightly browned. Flip.
- Sprinkle cheese on the top (browned side of the toast), and add the tomato slices, cutting them to fit onto the bread, without hanging off the sides.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and place it under the broiler. Broil until the cheese is melted, and the tomatoes have wrinkled, slightly.