Shaved Fennel with Orange
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: Summer/Fall | Type: Veggie Side | Diet: V/GF
A quick way to use fennel, this salad makes a great foil for fatty meat or seafood dishes.
- 1 bulb fennel, cut in half and with the core cut out
- zest and juice of one orange
- a couple tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 bulb shallot, minced
- a splash of white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you have a mandoline, use it to slice the fennel. If not, slice the bulb as thinly as you can, using a chef knife.
- In a small bowl, toss the fennel with the other ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning. Does it need more acidity? How about salt? Adjust as needed.