Shiitake Mushroom & Garlic Confit
Recipe Level: Basic | Recipe Speed: Average | Season: All | Type: Basic | Diet: V/GF
You can use this recipe to prepare any kind of mushroom. Mushroom confit can be used as a salad or omelette topping, as a stuffing for meats, it can be puréed and made into soup, as a sandwich topping, and in a variety of other ways, limited only by your imagination!
- shiitake mushrooms
- a few cloves of garlic, quartered
- olive oil (You can cover the mushrooms completely, if you have enough oil, or you can stop shy of that, if you don't. The flavored oil you create will be useful in future recipes!)
- Preheat the oven to 325-degrees. (You can cook this at 350, if you've got other things you need to cook at 350, or at a lower temperature).
- Rinse the mushrooms, remove the stems (you can save them for stock), and slice the caps.
- Place the mushroom slices and garlic pieces in a baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add oil as per note above.
- Cook until the garlic is tender, by which point the mushrooms will be, too.
- Let cool, and use however you'd like. You can strain the mushrooms and garlic and store/use the oil separately, if you'd like.