Spiced Rice with Dried Fruit
Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Quick | Season: All | Type: Starchy Side | Diet: V/GF
This makes a perfectly lovely side dish on its own, but can also be used as a filling for chard or cabbage wraps, or as a base for a casserole. If you have a robust selection of spices in your cupboards, you could add anything else that you think would be complementary.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups jasmine or Basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dried currants, raisins, golden raisins, or cranberries
- In a medium pot, bring the water to a simmer. Stir in the rice, seasonings, garlic and dried fruit, and turn the heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir after 15 minutes, and add a little more water, if needed.
- When the rice is done, taste it. Does it need more seasoning? You could add additional salt and pepper, stir in more garlic, or drizzle on a little vinegar or lemon juice, if you want a bit of acidity. If you eat dairy, you could add some butter, which would give it a creamy mouthfeel.