- 1 seeded baguette
- butter or olive oil
- ½ cup caramelized onions
- 5 ounces spinach
- ½ cup feta
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to broil (if you have multiple broiler settings, choose the lower one).
- Cut the baguette into slices that are approximately ½-inch thick. Smear one side with a little butter, or brush on a little oil.
- Place the bread slices on a cookie sheet, place in the oven with the door slightly ajar, and toast, checking every minute or so, until the bread is crisp and golden. Flip and toast the second side. (If you like your toast toastier, cook it a bit longer. If you’re only making a few pieces, you could use a toaster oven, instead). Turn off the oven, and set the toast aside, with the buttered/oiled side up.
- Wash the spinach, if needed, and chop it roughly. Heat 2 teaspoons of butter or oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. When the fat is hot, add the spinach, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, but still bright green. Remove from pan and set aside. Taste the spinach for seasoning. Does it need more salt? How about pepper?
- Remove the feta from its brine, and crumble it into a small bowl. Reserve the liquid, which can be used in salad dressing, or added to soup.
- To assemble the toast: Place a small scoop of caramelized onion on the toast, and spread it into an even layer. Top with a layer of spinach. To finish, sprinkle on some feta.