Recipe Level: Creative | Recipe Speed: Leisurely | Season: Spring/Summer | Type: Condiment, Sweet | Diet: V/GF
I love adding herbs to fruit jams. It gives them a little extra punch, and makes their sweetness less cloying. Strawberries also go well with thyme, tarragon, mint, and parsley.
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- a handful of basil leaves
- Rinse the strawberries, cut off their tops, and slice them.
- Put the cut strawberries in a pan with the maple syrup, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the juices have thickened to the consistency of a syrup.
- Remove from the heat.
- Mince the basil and add it to jam.
- Stir and taste. Does it need more salt? More lemon juice? Adjust as desired.