Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center seeks a dynamic, mission-driven part-time Food Hub Buyer to join our team in Burlington, Vermont.
For 30 years, the Intervale Center has led a community food revolution that sustains farms, land and people. We have pioneered farm and food innovations like Community Supported Agriculture, commercial composting, riparian restoration, farm business incubation, gleaning and food hub development.
The Intervale Food Hub Buyer will manage the procurement and sourcing strategy, negotiate contracts, purchase products, onboard new suppliers and oversee our relationships with suppliers in support of the Intervale Food Hub, a local foods retail business that sells a range of products directly to individuals and families in the greater Burlington area.
This part-time position (24 hours/week) reports to the Food Hub Director and is an important part of the business’s operations team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manages procurement and sourcing strategy, including contract and negotiation decisions, to improve quality, profitability and vendor relations
• Negotiates product contracts with growers based on quality parameters • Creates custom market/sourcing reports for distribution internally
• Reports to team about grower fields and monitors progress of upcoming crops and potential shortages/overages
• Effectively communicates with suppliers to ensure timely deliveries, excellent product quality, continuous improvement and improving lead times
• Facilitates the development of new suppliers to help them reach the level of excellence required by Food Hub standards
• Evaluates and selects suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the IFH’s requirements, such as quality, contract compliance, and accuracy
• Works with other parts of the Food Hub to determine volume needs or consumer preference
• Places orders, creates PO's and does all required follow up until product is successfully received
• Spot-checks the quality of incoming product
• Works with suppliers on delivery problems, shortages and product returns
• Develops and maintains good, positive working relationships with suppliers, brokers, agents, sales contacts and/or importers
• Works with accounting on PO/invoice discrepancies
• Creates and maintains crop plan and adjusts as needed after the end of each season, updating necessary follow-through on price changes and allowances
• Acts as the Food Hub expert on matters related to product quality, market trends and the science of perishable inventory management
• Works with Food Hub team on strategic planning and overall business development Page 2 of 2
• Attends Intervale Center staff meetings and special events as necessary
• Contributes to a highly productive, collaborative and clean work environment
• Acts as an ambassador for the entire organization, promote philanthropy, and engage in relationship building in support of Intervale Center Development
We are seeking a highly qualified local foods buyer. An ideal candidate will bring:
• Significant, demonstrated experience in product buying and handling required, farming experience preferred
• A minimum of 2 years procurement experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of produce quality standards
• Strong organization, communication and time management skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Positive attitude, patience, creativity and a great sense of humor
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• Valid VT driver’s license with clean driving record
Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 26th.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes limited wellness benefits. Position is based in Burlington with opportunity to work remotely