In Our Baskets This Week
Vermont Vegetable Package
- Green Cabbage* | Intervale Community Farm, Burlington, and Vallons Maraichers (Deep Root Co-Operative Partner)
- Sweet Onions* | Pitchfork Farm, Burlington
- Cucumbers* | Shadow Creek Farm, Fairfax and Valley Dream Farm, Cambridge
- New Potatoes* | Valley Dream Farm, Cambridge, VT
- Blueberries* | Adam's Berry Farm, Charlotte, VT
- Variety Package Only: Tomatoes* | Intervale Community Farm, Burlington and River Berry Farm, Fairfax
The Omnivore Package includes the Vermont Vegetable Package above, plus...
- Pasture Raised Chicken Drumsticks | Maple Wind Farm
- Trappist Goat Cheese* | Does' Leap Farm
- Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce | Joe's Kitchen at Screamin' Ridge Farm
The Localvore Package includes the Omnivore Package above, plus...
- Polenta Bread* | Red Hen Baking Company
- Pasture Raised Eggs | Besteyfield Farm
Bread: Polenta Bread*
Red Hen Baking Co.
Pasture Raised Eggs
Cooking & Storage Tips
- This week's basket is an amazing summer picnic waiting to happen! All of the items store fairly well, so you can wait until the weekend to make most of these dishes, if you need to.
- Tomatoes should never go in the fridge, so make sure to eat them when they've reached perfect ripeness, so they don't spoil on the counter.
- Blueberries are less delicate than some of their cousins (we're looking at you, raspberries), but it's still great to use them up in the first few days. And, it's pretty easy to do.
- It's really refreshing to have a chilled cucumber salad around, and it's quick and easy to make, so throw one together early in the week, and add it to meals as a crunchy side dish.
- Cabbage will last a long time wrapped in plastic in the fridge.
- Potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark place. Onions should, too, but onions and potatoes should not be stored next to each other! The gasses given off by the onions will cause the potatoes to spoil, and vice versa.
The dishes below were created by Suzanne, our Cooking Education Coordinator. Each week, we aim to provide you with recipes that will get you excited to use the items in your basket. We welcome your feedback and suggestions!
If you make all of the recipes that we recommend this week, you'll need these items, in addition to the items you'll receive in your basket. You may already have some of them in your cupboard and your fridge. They're organized roughly as you'd find them in a store. Quantities are rounded, when it's more sensible to do so. Some ingredients are used "to taste," so a quantity may not be listed.
- 1 clove garlic
- a handful of chives
- the tops of 4 scallions
- 1 lemon
- Bulk/Dry Goods
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- Bottled Items/Condiments
- sunflower oil and/or olive oil
- sesame oil
- white wine vinegar
- mayo (or vegan mayo)
- Dijon mustard
- Refrigerated Goods
- 1 container sour cream
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- Items from our Localvore Basket or our add-on subscriptions (if you don't get those subscriptions, you should add these to your shopping list)
- chicken drumsticks
- barbecue sauce
- polenta bread
- Trappist cheese