With a new Cooking Education Coordinator on board, we're excited to share more delicious and creative ways to use the food from your basket. This summer, in addition to our weekly recipes, we're rolling out weekly meal plans to help you make the most of the goods. During the season, these menu plans will come with recipes, process photographs, and maybe even a how-to video here and there. Here's a sneak preview!
How do we create our meal plans?
- Focus on the Vermont Vegetables
- Include ideas for where to add in items from the Omnivore Package
- Add in staples - eggs, bread and cheese
- Feature local proteins - chicken, beef, pork, tortillas + beans, as well as wild Alaskan fish
Summer Meal Plan
For this meal plan, we used one of our weekly deliveries planned for August as an example:
- Summer Vermont Vegetable "Variety" Package inlcudes Red Onions, Cucumbers, Corn, Tomatoes, New Potatoes, Green Peppers, Plums
- Omnivore Package also includes Feta Cheese, Wild Alaskan Salmon, and Pickled Peppers
- Localvore Package also includes eggs and bread
Roast chicken & new potatoes, served with salad with cucumber, quick-pickled red onion, and feta cheese
Roasting the whole chicken will make lots of meals over the week easy! Serve roasted chicken thighs for dinner, save leftover chicken breast for tomorrow, and simmer chicken bones and scraps overnight for homemade stock
Quick Monday Dinner or Leftovers for Lunch
Serve leftover chicken, paired with a simple potato salad with leftover potatoes, and a side of quick-pickled cucumbers and red onions.
Season ground beef or sausage with taco spices. Serve in warmed All Souls Tortillas. Top with pickled peppers, tomatoes. and cheddar cheese. Serve with a side of black beans, grilled corn and lots of butter!
Wednesday Night Localvore Package Dinner
Salmon burgers with sautéed corn and a green salad. Dessert is grilled plums and feta. Fancy, but simple at the same time!
Simple Thursday Grain Bowl
You've used a little of everything, but still have plenty of ingredients left over. Use your homemade chicken stock to cook a big batch of rice, quinoa, or farro. Grill or roast your leftover peppers, onions, tomatoes, and corn. Serve with leftover beans, cheddar cheese or feta cheese, and maybe a little hot sauce too! Leftovers will make a delicious lunch tomorrow.
Take a break from cooking and go out on the town, or, hang out at home and enjoy some leftovers from your week!
Hopefully you have some tasty eggs from Besteyfield Farm. Scramble up some eggs with any leftover veggies and cheese, and smile - you made it to the weekend!
Of course, this meal plan can be moved around to fit your schedule. We want to inspire you to feel confident in the kitchen!
Summer Recipe Inspiration
Here are a few ideas of what you might want to make with your Vermont Vegetable Package over the Summer. Deliveries start in June, so for a little inspiration, we put together a collection of recipe ideas for the first month of deliveries!
See the week-by-week layout for our Vermont Vegetable Package, Omnivore Package, and Localvore Package here: intervalefoodhub.com/packages
June Week 1
- Spinach and Asparagus Quiche with Bacon
- Green Salad with Microgreens and Cucumbers
- Rhubarb Tart with Maple Glaze
June Week 2
- Beef Kebabs with Mushrooms, Bok Choi, and Scallion Rice
- French-Style Butter and Radish Toasts
- Mushroom-Asparagus Omelette with Chives
June Week 3
- Smoked Salmon with Dill, Chevre, and Cucumbers
- Primavera Pasta with Asparagus, Arugula, and Chevre
- Strawberry & Arugula Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Asparagus and Swiss Chard Soup with Dill Yogurt
June Week 4
- Stuffed Squash with Black Beans or Ground Beef and Mt. Mansfield Creamery Cheese
- Omelette with Mesclun Mix
- Zucchini and Mushroom Risotto with Mt. Mansfield Creamery Cheese