Rhubarb, a.k.a. Rheum rhabarbarum
Who am I?
- Plant family: Polygonaceae
- Harvest season: May through July
- Great source of: fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K
- I'm a little sour, so I pair really well with things that are a bit sweet. I love hanging out with berries, fragrant spices such as cinnamon and ginger, citrus fruits, cream, and vanilla. Don't forget that you can use me in savory dishes, too. I'm particularly good with blue cheese, duck, seafood, and pork.
- Don't eat my leaves!
How to care for me:
- In a plastic bag, I'll last for around two weeks in the fridge. Lightly cooked rhubarb can be frozen, too.
How to cook me: