From allrecipes.com; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach -- cleaned, stemmed, and dried
- 2 large stalks of rhubarb, cut diagonally into thin slices
- water to cover
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- optional garnishes: crumbled goat cheese or feta, dried cranberries, chopped pecans
- Arrange the spinach leaves on a platter.
- Place the rhubarb in a skillet with enough water to cover by 1 inch; add the sugar. Bring the rhubarb to a gentle boil over medium-low heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the rhubarb is lightly cooked, about 2 minutes. Remove the rhubarb with a slotted spoon and distribute over the spinach.
- Stir the vinegar into the liquid left in the skillet, raise heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Return heat to medium-low and cook until the liquid has reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, whisk in the olive oil, and pour the hot dressing over the spinach and rhubarb to wilt the lettuce. Divide salad between 2 plates; serve warm.