Recipe By Plantings and Pairings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons spicy Dijon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 14 oz. Hillshire Farms polska kielbasa sausage, sliced in ¼-inch thick rounds
- 3 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Emmentaler cheese
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic and red pepper and cook until softened.
- Add the sliced sausage and sautee until beginning to brown and curling at the edges.
- Add the sauerkraut, mustard, fennel seeds, cayenne, and black pepper, and stir until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the wine and parsley and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Spread the sour cream over the skillet mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Toss the potato slices with 1 teaspoon oil, the melted butter and salt. Arrange the seasoned potatoes in a tight formation over the sauerkraut mixture and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the potato slices are browning at the edges and the mixture is bubbling. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.