Recipe courtesy of Wholesome Cook
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 chorizo, diced
- 100g speck // or streaky bacon, diced
- 1kg sauerkraut
- 200g diced pork
- 200g diced beef
- ¼ cup dried porcini mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- 100g dried pitted prunes
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 whole allpsice seeds (pimento seeds)
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 strip of lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sugar of your choice
- olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Brown onion, chorizo and speck, mixing regularly. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon oil over high heat and add the pork and beef. Sear on 2-3 sides and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add sauerkraut together with the cooked chorizo, speck and onion and all the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 1-2 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart to the touch.
- To serve: Spoon bigos into a serving bowl, serve on its own, with mash, green salad or slices of fresh sourdough bread.