Recipe courtesy of Food Guy Magazine
- 1 head Napa cabbage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- ½ cup celery, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 (25 oz.) can condensed tomato soup (IFH Note: or your favorite tomato sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boiling.
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage. Discard the leaves. Cut the core of the cabbage and separate the remaining leaves. Blanch in boiling water for 1-2 minutes until lightly tender.
- Line a large enamel cast iron pot with the smaller cabbage leaves. Plunge the larger leaves into cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Lay a cabbage leaf flat on the cutting board. Remove the stem with a paring knife. Scoop a large spoonful of the meat mixture onto the leaf. Fold in each side to form a package. Repeat until all the leaves are rolled.
- Line the cabbage rolls into a single layer in the pot. Pour the soup evenly across the top. If you have extra leaves, lay them across the top.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.