Published by Martha Stewart in Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, Vol. 2
As a side dish for supper or a main course for lunch, this salad gets its fresh taste and pretty color from curry powder and mint.
- 1/4 cup raw whole almonds
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 small McIntosh apple, cut into 1/8-inch-thick wedges
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop nuts.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a fine sieve; drain. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa; return to a boil. Stir quinoa; cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is tender but still chewy, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork; let cool.
- Whisk together honey, shallot, curry powder, salt, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Whisking constantly, pour in oil in a slow, steady stream; whisk until dressing is emulsified. Add quinoa, currants, apple, mint, and nuts; toss well. Garnish with mint.