Published by Matt Wright in mattikaarts.com on April 2010
- 3/4lb Black Cod fillet, skin on, cut into two pieces
- olive oil
- sea salt
- handful of baby carrots
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- small handful of finely chopped parsley
- a good pinch of finely chopped thyme
- juice of half a lemon
- two tablespoons of capers
- Preheat oven to 225F.
- Take the fish out of the fridge, pour some olive oil over it, and let it sit for 15 minutes or so.
- Prepare the carrots – trim off anything that looks a bit ropey. Cut them into even sizes if required.
- Chop the herbs
- Once the oven is up to temperature, and your fish no longer feels really cold, take the fish out of the oil, and place it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Put the carrots in a saute pan, along with 1 tablespoon of butter, and the honey. Fill with enough water to almost cover the carrots. Get this boiling over a high heat. Reduce to a strong simmer. Stir the carrots from time to time.
- Take note of the tips for glazing above – When the liquid has reduced to a syrupy glaze, remove from the heat.
- To make the sauce – melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan or saute pan. When foaming, fry the capers for a few seconds. Squeeze in a little lemon juice. Off the heat whisk in two tablespoons of butter and the chopped thyme.
- Add the parsley to the carrots, and toss again.
- Remove the fish from the oven. The fish is done when it easily falls into large flakes when poked with fork.
- To serve – divide the carrots between two plates, top the carrots with the roasted fish. Pour over the sauce.
- Eat immediately.