Published by Ali Slagle in food52.com on September 2015
Inspired by this Carrot Avocado Salad, here, beets get doused in Indian spices and roasted alongside grapefruit and lime halves. The roasted citrus, along with fresh juice too, get made into a dressing with lots of fresh ginger. Add a little mint and yogurt, and you'll forget about the millions of beet and goat cheese salads you've eaten in your lifetime.
1 small grapefruit
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (or yellow for a sweeter, milder option)
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 pounds beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Cut the lime and grapefruit in half and juice half of each one, reserving the juice and the unjuiced halves, and discarding the juiced halves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon each of grapefruit and lime juice with the mustard seeds, pepper flakes, coriander, turmeric, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add a pinch or two of salt and pepper, taste, and adjust. Throw in the beets, grapefruit half, and lime half and mix until everything is coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a rimmed baking sheet and roast until the beets are fork tender, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the reserved fresh grapefruit and lime juices, the juice from the roasted grapefruit and lime halves, the ginger and sugar, along with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Transfer the beets to a serving bowl or plate, drizzle in a few tablespoons of dressing, and toss to combine. Plate, dollop each with some yogurt and sprinkle with mint and pistachios. Serve.