Published by Cheryl Slocum in countryliving.com on December 2010
- 1¼ c. heavy cream
- ¼ c. whole milk
- 1 small onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 lb. celery root
- 1½ lb. Yukon gold potatoes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 oz. aged Gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring heavy cream, milk, onion halves, and garlic to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, peel, halve, and thinly slice celery root; cut slices in half. Peel and thinly slice potatoes. In a buttered 8-inch casserole dish, arrange a layer of celery-root slices followed by a layer of potato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat.
- Remove onion and garlic from cream mixture and discard. Pour mixture over casserole. Cover dish with a piece of buttered aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle casserole with Gouda. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer casserole to a wire rack and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.