Published by Eleanor Jones in honestcooking.com on November 2012
A sweet and sticky red onion chutney - the perfect addition to your Christmas cheeseboard.
- 6 red onions
- 2 white onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g light brown sugar
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- Peel and chop all 8 of the onions, cutting them into the finest possible slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and add the onions.
- Cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring gently to prevent burning, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the sugars.
- Add the vinegars and chili flakes and simmer the mixture for a further 30 minutes, until most of the liquid has reduced and the chutney has become thick and sticky.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- You can serve the chutney immediately, but it's best if kept to mature for a month or more. If you make a batch now, it will be ready in time for Christmas!
Serving size in this recipe equates as jars. I made 5 relatively small jars from this mixture, but depending on the size of your onions you could easily make four larger jars if you so wish!