Published by Martha Stewart in Everyday Food on November 2003
- 10 graham crackers (or 1 1/3 cups graham-cracker crumbs)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups sweet-potato puree (to prepare, wrap sweet potatoes in foil and bake for about 45 min- 1 hour at 400 degrees. Then, puree or mash until smooth!)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack on lowest shelf. Make crust: In a food processor, pulse graham crackers, sugar, ginger, and salt until finely ground. Add butter; pulse until mixture forms large, moist crumbs. Press crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until combined. Add sweet-potato puree, half-and-half, lemon juice, vanilla, salt, and allspice; whisk until completely smooth. Pour filling into crust; smooth top with a rubber spatula.
- Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake until filling is set, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
A press-in graham-cracker crust is simple to make (or buy one premade). We added ginger to complement the flavor of the sweet potatoes.