Published by bakingbites.com on April, 2014
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8 round cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vegetable oil, milk, orange juice and vanilla until well combined. Pour into flour mixture and stir until everything just comes together and no streaks of dry ingredients remain. Stir in shredded carrots until evenly distributed.
- Divide evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center of the came comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cake and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Peel off parchment paper.
- When cake has cooled, transfer to a cake stand or serving plate and top with a generous layer of cream cheese frosting. Decorate cake with pecan halves, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting for Single Layer Cake
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 4-oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until frosting is thick and smooth, but still spreadable. Spread onto cooled single-layer cake.
- Makes enough for the top and sides of a single 8 or 9-inch cake