Published in perfectmorsel.com on May, 2013
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 carrots
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 radishes
- 1 avocado
- 1 ½ cup of sunflower sprouts
- First up, the dressing. Whisk together the whole grain mustard, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and chilli pepper (optional, but highly recommended) in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. I prefer whole grain mustard to the other kinds available for the added crunch and texture the mustard seeds lend to the salad.
- Remove the outer ring of the shallot. Using a sharp knife, cut the shallot into thin slivers. Place shallots into a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Mix the shallots into the dressing and set aside. Rinsing the shallots and then pickling them in the dressing brings out their sweetness and takes the sharp edge off of them.
- Rinse and pat dry the carrots, cucumbers and radishes. For added nutrition, especially if using organic vegetables, leave their skins on. Using a sharp knife or a mandolin, cut the vegetables into thin slices as shown above. Chop the avocado into small bite-sized pieces.
- Place the cut up vegetables onto a plate. Toss in the rinsed sunflower sprouts and spoon on the desired amount of dressing. I usually use a couple of tablespoons for each plate.