Published by Deborah in theharvestkitchen.com on February, 2016
I have been making this Wilted Spinach with Garlic and Lemon as a side dish for years. It really goes great with salmon and grilled chicken. I used to order it all the time “to go” at my favorite Italian restaurant in Costa Messa. They’d have balls of it wrapped with lemon wedges for take-out.
- 2 large bunches of spinach
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon
- Rinse the spinach well and trim off any tough stems.
- Quickly steam the spinach until the leaves gently wilt.
- Refresh under cold water - then drain and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook on low until the garlic starts to turn golden.
- Add the spinach and cook for just a minute or two stirring with a spatula so the spinach absorbs the flavors of the olive oil and garlic. (You don't want to over-cook the spinach).
- Remove from heat.
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon over the cooked spinach. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve with wedges of lemon.