Published by saveur.com in May, 2011
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 English seedless cucumbers
- 4 shallots, thinly-sliced crosswise
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt; set aside. Using a vegetable peeler, peel alternate 1⁄2"-wide strips of skin from cucumbers; discard peeled skins. Slice cucumber crosswise into 1⁄8"-thick rounds; add to bowl with vinegar along with shallots and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Chill.